Articles in the Schnorring Category
Editors' Choice, Headline, Schnorring »
Free Stuffin is proud to present our readers with 10 Ways to Know You’re A Schnorrer. No matter how you convince youself otherwise, if you perform any of these items, you are by definition A Schnorrer.
1. You fill up the 18 year old scotch bottle with Dewars so guests think they are getting the “fancy” stuff
2. You have 5 birthday dinners so that all your different groups of friends can “celebrate with you”
3. You know which neighbors have 2-ply toilet paper
4. You plan your “vacations” based on which friends or …
Headline, Schnorring »
Food prices are skyrocketing these days for normal Americans. And for arugula-organic-free-range slaves like me, sticker shock is becoming a cardiac arrest. So I’ve found a few creative ways to cut food costs at the supermarket. And if done right, they won’t get you banned for life from your favorite store.
1) Look for mold in the produce aisle. While others look to make sure a box of strawberries is mold-free, I go for the ones with mold. Then, after I’ve eaten all the good ones that day, I return the …
Business Ideas, Featured, Schnorring »
A California man on Dateline NBC’s “To Catch a Predator” showed up at a house in the suburbs, hoping to have sex with an underage girl he thought he had chatted with online. Instead, he found himself handcuffed and given a court date. When the date arrived, he skipped his hearing to try to have sex with another underage girl he thought he had chatted with online. He arrived at her suburban home and again found himself handcuffed.
What does this story tell the schnorrer? That sex predators are the ideal …
Headline, Schnorring, Shopping »
Beauty is a billion-dollar industry aimed at convincing us we need to smell like roses when we sweat. Women long have borne the yolk of L’Oreal and Calvin Klein, but now they have company. Men used to be able to opt out, but no longer. With the advent of manscaping, guys are expected to shell out as much dough as girls for the right to look and smell like every other metrosexual.
But beauty can be had on the cheap. You don’t need expensive gym memberships, makeup or surgeries to be …
Headline, Schnorring, Tips From a Bartender »
In a recession, we all need to make sacrifices, but come Hell or high water, I’m hanging onto my Friday nights out like those still hanging onto the glimmering hope of the Democrats digging us out of this mess. Until then, I choose sacrifices of a different breed. Girls, leave your hangups at the door: tonight, you’re drinking for free.
1. The Sad Bartender
It’s hard to believe, but some bartenders don’t think they’re “all that.” The best clubs may have bartenders that look like Abercrombie models, but hit up some of …
Editors' Choice, Schnorring »
A carefully executed couch surfing experience can provide a person with weeks, months and possibly years of food, lodging, entertainment and, done right, romance.
There are three basic approaches to the task of getting onto the couch or into a spare room.
1. Just Got Thrown out: This could be from a parent’s house, a girlfriend/boyfriend, stale roommate situation, or through an angry landlord. The crux of this approach (truthful or not) is that you are in a bind and need a temporary favor.
2. Just Passing Through: Won’t be here …
Featured, Schnorring, THE SCHNORRER »
At a group dinner in a restaurant, the Schnorrer knows how to handle himself He makes sure to be the last one to contribute to the bill once it comes. This is the equivalent of being the big blind in poker; being in the seat of power. He has gleaned from life experience that the last one who pays the bill is the one to count the money pile. More often than not, people over contribute. The $18 owed, turns into $20, the …
Headline, Schnorring »
Saving and budgeting money should be a goal in all aspects of life. This includes getting the most out of a potluck whilst putting the least amount of effort in.
1. Get there early. This allows you to bring something cheap without others knowing who brought the baked potato.
2. Use someone’s coattails. If you haven’t gotten there early enough, pick something that will complement another item of food – this means that you don’t need to purchase as much (and makes the other item look cheaper as it requires your supplement)
Featured, Schnorring »
Hitchhiking is a lost art, practiced these days only by a few faithful burned-out purists. However, it still can be a handy way to get around, especially in remote locales in the U.S. and widely practiced in Europe. It is up to the adventurous schnorrer to keep the hitchhiking tradition alive.
Just like with any social occasion, there are a unique set of rules of conduct with hitchhiking. Remember that you’re a guest in the flatbed truck with the Confederate flag bumper sticker, so try to do Emily Post or Martha …